Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Lance Winn: drawing, robotics, sculpture

Yesterday I attended the art talk with Lance Winn who shared his work with drawing, robotics and sculpture. I missed the beginning, and therefore his discussion on ectoplasm, however, I did hear a lot about some specific pieces. I was fascinated by the way he allowed the work to guide him and make itself. I felt that this spoke to me because I've always held that curiosity about "secret messages" (even if I know they're not really there). I'm also very indecisive and have a lot of trouble planning any art project because I never know where I want it to go when I start. While I really enjoyed hearing his concepts, I wasn't too sure what I thought about the art itself. I liked that he layered his work so that what it started out as may not be what you see when you look at the finished product. I felt that he showed us a lot of the same work over and over again, which I thought to be unnecessary. I think his presentation would have been just as effective if he had chosen a select number of pieces that are mostly dissimilar from each other. I also give him a lot of credit because I don't have his patience to draw/paint all those lines!

No comments: