Monday, February 26, 2007

Cut-Up

William Burroughs describes "The Cut-Up Method" by Brion Gysin. This method involves randomly generating prose, either by computer software or literally cutting up paper with words and then randomly putting them together to create poetry. I've said before that I like methods that create themselves, mostly because I'm a very indecisive person, so I like to avoid making decisions about what to create. However, I must admit, I'm turned off by this method, the way it's described. I'm not exactly sure why I'm turned off by it, but perhaps it's too far removed from the artists' own work. Also, I'm not convinced that using this method truly creates meaningful work. For one, the artist really doesn't put in much effort at all, doesn't even necessarily have to have an idea of where it's going, and calls it original art. If they don't have meaning of their own to put into the work, is it really "meaningful" prose? Is it really art?

No comments: