Thursday, February 1, 2007

Reynold Bailey: Perception-Guiding Image Editing

Today, Reynold Bailey gave a talk on Perception-Guiding Image Editing. I thought that he was funny and liked the format of his presentation. However, I was not expecting such a huge part of his talk to be an extensive neuroscience background of the work he does. I thought this much detail was unnecessary and could have been summed up much more quickly for the purposes of his talk. Feeling like I was in a review session for all my neuroscience classes really distracted me from what his talk was actually about. I really only saw a few slides that were about his actual work, and am therefore not truly sure what the talk was about. It seems to me that he has studied the interaction between human perception and the way graphics are displayed on the computer and is now finding ways to alter graphics so that humans will perceive them a certain way. For instance, his cinematography example about having a main character in the background of a scene can be colored in a different way (warmer colors) so that humans will more readily perceive and attend to the character as opposed to something else in the scene. Overall, I thought his work was very interesting, just that the talk could have been organized to be more effective.

No comments: