Thursday, January 25, 2007

"Consumed" by Melissa Dean

Yesterday I attended "Consumed" by Melissa Dean. It was (I'm sad to say) my first art event in all my time here at St. Mary's. I really enjoyed it, not only because I finally got to attend one and even step foot into Boyden Gallery, but I really enjoyed her talk. I was afraid that, not being an art major, I would have no idea what she was talking about when she discussed her techniques and philosophies behind her work. I was greatly pleased that this was not the case. I think my favorite piece was the painting of all the different items on top of one another, mostly because I felt like I understood it (which is sort of rare for me). I thought her ideas of the consumer vs. organic paradox were very interesting and loved that she wanted the viewer to decide what each piece says. I really like the idea of overlaying simplistic images on top of one another to take away meaning, it sounds fascinating and I'd like to try it sometime.

No comments: