Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Sound Project

I listened to the sound project "Radio Radio" by DJ Spooky for this entry. When I first heard the racket coming from my speakers, all I could think was, "what the...?" As I started to pick out individual sounds and how they were put together I was very intrigued. I'm not sure how purposeful it was to put these particular sounds together or in what order, but I noticed various emotions coming to surface. For example, I happened to be listening to the audio alone at night, so when Alfred Hitchcock spoke, I was a little creeped out; when I heard the oh-so-familiar sound of dial-up internet, I started laughing, etc. I love music, especially music that mixes different beats and genres (I particularly enjoyed the clinking sounds mixed with heavier beats because it reminded me of music I used to make when I was little by tapping spoons together); things that you might never think of to put together. I thought this project did just that and it sounded great. An interview with the artist was played periodically throughout the duration of the piece. It was nice to hear some of the artist's theories and philosophies about art, however, the piece was never really discussed as to why he made this the way he did. It also sort of broke up the piece, so I was a little annoyed everytime the interview came on. I think it would have flowed better if they were separated or if less significant parts of the piece were played behind the interview. All-in-all, I enjoyed listening to it, so I'm going to explore more of the audio samples!

No comments: