Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dada

I really liked the Dada techniques I read about. I like using a lot of pieces that people wouldn't normally think of and recycling them in a way. For example, using a gum wrapper as part of a collage not only gives it a new use, and therefore is not trash, but also gives it a new meaning and role.

I didn't know which artist I would be most interested in so I chose the first person, Hans (Jean) Arp. His art looked much simpler because it was not as busy as some of the other artists. Specifically I looked at "Forest," which is an example of assemblage in that he used 3D pieces to create an image. I also looked at "Automatic Drawing," which is either an example of abstraction or chance, depending on how the work was created, or could perhaps be both. It seems though, if the markings were intentional, it would be abstract in that it does not represent anything in the natural world. However, if it were created by using some kind of machine or other means of unintentional markings, it could be considered chance. I briefly looked at the other images as well, which seem to be very identical to these two pieces in that they are examples of assemblage or abstraction.

No comments: